About the program:
This inpatient program is for you if you need to be in hospital for 24 hour hospital nursing care and are recovering from orthopaedic conditions such as:
- Recent injury eg fractures
- Joint replacement surgery
- Spinal surgery
- An exacerbation of a musculoskeletal disease
Who can benefit from this program?
Patients who have recently had surgery such as a joint replacement including Neck, Knee, Hip, Hand, Shoulder, Arm, Ankle, Foot or Spinal Surgery, Fracture or Trauma, and other related procedures.
The main goal of this program is to get you strong and back home again as soon as possible. The Rehabilitation Team will assess you when you arrive. They will develop a plan for your recovery, and re-evaluate it weekly as you improve. They will work with you to plan your safe discharge home.
Day to day you will be under the care of your rehabilitation specialist, or geriatrician. You will have daily therapy sessions with your rehab team, which may include:
- Physiotherapy to retrain muscular and neurological imbalances to restore your strength, endurance, function and stability
- Occupational therapy to provide strategies, support, and equipment you may need to help you do things independently and return home safely.
- Rehab nurses to support you in your self-care tasks and medication management while you regain your independence
- Social work to provide inpatient support and advice on how to access additional services at home, or help you arrange supported living accommodation if necessary.
- Dietitian to assess nutrition and provide advice on supplementation where necessary.